2022-2023 Speech Contests
District 35 Speech Contest Team
- Jason Feucht, DTM – Program Quality Director
- Judy Bauer, DTM, PDG – District Chief Judge
- Theresa Flynn, DTM – District Contest Assistant
- Tall Tales Contest – Finals at the 2023 D35 Spring Conference
- International Speech Contest – District Finals at the 2023 D35 Spring Conference, and advances to the Regional Quarterfinal of the World Championship of Public Speaking
- Club – Any Format – In Person, Virtual or Hybrid
- Area – All Area Contests will be Virtual
- Division – All Division Contests will be Hybrid
- District – The District Contests will be Hybrid and held in conjunction
with the 2023 D35 Spring Conference at the Abbey Resort on Lake Geneva
Speech Contest Timeline
- Club Contests – Prior to 1/15/2023
- Area Contests – Between 1/16/2023 and 2/28/2023
- Division Contests – Between 3/1/2023 and 4/15/2023
- District Contests
- Tall Tales – 5/5/2023
- International – 5/6/2023
2023 Training Opportunities:
- Club Contest Training with Kris Pool, DTM, PDD
- Contest Training: Tall Tales Techniques with Theresa Flynn
- District Leader Contest Training with Kris Pool, DTM, PDD
Note for Area and Division Contests:
- Areas with 4 or fewer clubs in good standing can have 2 contestants
from each club compete in the area contest.
- Divisions with 4 areas or fewer can have the 2 highest-placed available
contestants from each Area compete.
- Areas and Divisions Qualifying for this format will be informed by the
PQD 6 weeks prior to the start of that contest level
- Please contact your area or division director for more details
Area, Division & District Contest Functionary Eligibility (Rule 2F Clarification per WHQ):
Any current Area, Division, Club Growth, or Program Quality Director that is running for an elected office (Division, Club Growth, Program Quality, or District Director) for the 2023-2024 Toastmasters year that starts July 1, 2023:
- SHOULD serve as contest chair for their own contest, this is part of the role’s responsibilities.
- MUST delegate ALL speaking / hosting responsibilities to their Contest Toastmaster and should not speak during the contest at any time, as any speaking could be considered an unfair advantage. Candidates for office should only speak during Candidate Corner breakouts.
- CANNOT take on any role in ANY contest other than being the contest chair of their own contest beyond the club level in any, area, division, or District.
- CAN be recognized as a visiting dignitary at any contest.
- Items 2 – 3 do NOT apply if you are NOT running for an elected office for the Next Toastmasters Year.
- Speech Contest Resources
- International Speech Contest Kit
- Tall Tales Speech Contest Kit
- Individual Forms
- Notification of Contest Winner (Form 1182)
- Speaker’s Certification of Eligibility and Originality (Form 1183)
- Speech Contestant Bio (Form 1189)
- International Speech Contest Judges’s Guide and Ballot (Form 1172)
- International Speech Contest Tiebreaking Judge’s Ballot (Form 1188)
- Tall Tales Contest Judge’s Guide and Ballot (Form 1181)
- Tall Tales Contest Tiebreaking Judge’s Ballot (Form 1181A)
- Speech Contest Certificates
- D35 Sample Contest Agenda Template
- D35 Sample Contest Script
- D35 Contestant Briefing
- D35 Judges Briefing
- D35 Timer Briefing
- D35 Ballot Counters Briefing
- D35 Sergeant-at-Arms Briefing
Prior Year Resources:
- How to rock the contest stage? By Eric Feinendegen.
- The Ultimate Speech and Presentation Day Checklist By Eric Feinendegen
- January 19, 2022 Virtual Workshop: Chief Judge Training with Judy Bauer, DTM