District 35 presents the Communication and Leadership Award (C&L) to a person in the community who is an outstanding communicator and leader.
Call for nominations for 2019 Spring C&L award starts now, and the nomination deadline is on March 15, 2019. Answer the questions in the COMMUNICATION & LEADERSHIP AWARD NOMINATION FORM and send them to the Club Growth Director, Kris Pool, by the nomination deadline, March 15, 2019.
Purpose of the Award
The purpose of the award is to honor a non-Toastmaster who has made substantial contributions in the areas of communications and leadership within their community.
Criteria for the Award Recipient
Following are the criteria used for award recipient selection:
- Must be a resident of the geographical area where the Spring Convention is being held.
- Currently must be a non-Toastmaster; can be a former Toastmaster.
- Should have distinguished himself/herself as a leader or spokesperson for a worthy cause or purpose, especially as it exemplified their communication and leadership skills.
- Shall have made a significant contribution to their community within the District. The impact of this contribution must not be limited to one organization but must be community/district-wide.
- This award may not be presented to a recipient a second time.
- Must be able to personally accept the award and give a 5-minute acceptance address at the District 35 Spring Convention on Saturday, May 11, 2019.
- Any District 35 Toastmaster in good standing may submit a nomination for the award.
- Nominations must be made in writing following the questions on the Nomination Form, providing reasons why the nominee should be considered for the award.
- Nominations must be submitted to the Club Growth Director by the published nominations due date. The Club Growth Director will coordinate all submissions to the District Trio after the nomination due date. Call for nominations begins now, and the nomination deadline is March 15, 2019.
- The District Trio will only consider nominations submitted by the due date.
- The District Trio will decide which nominee, if any, is worthy of the award. The decision will be made by a majority vote. This vote may be performed via email.
- If a majority of the District Trio feels that no nominations merit the award, then no award will be made for that year.
- If an award is to be given, the District 35 Director will contact the recipient to inform him/her they have been selected to receive the award, advise the recipient that he/she must make an acceptance address at the District Spring Convention as a condition of receiving the award.
- If the chosen recipient:
- Cannot make an acceptance address,
- Cannot personally accept the award, and/or
- Chooses not to accept the award
Then the District 35 Director will advise the Club Growth Director. The District Trio may choose to select another recipient for the award that year. If another recipient is chosen, then the District 35 Director will contact that individual in accordance with #7 above.
- On the award announcement date, the District 35 Director will announce the award recipient or announce that there will not be an award presented that year. This will be posted on the District website and Facebook page.
- Any Toastmaster may nominate a recipient. If you wish to nominate more than one person, please submit separate entries for each individual. The Nomination Form, along with any supplemental information, should be sent to the Club Growth Director using the format provided on the Nomination Form.
Selection of the recipient for the award is made by the District Trio. Selection is contingent upon the recipient’s confirmed attendance for the award presentation.
The Communication and Leadership award will be presented at the District 35 Spring Convention on May 11, 2019.
The award is given in the form of a plaque, purchased by District 35 from Toastmasters International, and engraved with the winner’s name, year of the award, name of the award, and other pertinent information.
For more information, contact:
Kris Pool, DTM
Club Growth Director 2018-19